Through national expert sessions and practical case studies the conference brings together safeguarding leads working with adolescents and young people to understand current issues and the national context, address risks faced by vulnerable adolescents and to debate and discuss key issues and areas you are facing in practice in supporting adolescents and young adults.
Follow the conference on Twitter #SafeguardingYoungAdults
Understanding Adolescent Risk and Development
• understand adolescent development
• what does attachment mean for adolescents?
• improving responses to adolescent risk
• the impact of trauma on adolescence and the importance of trauma informed safeguarding practice
Ms Carmen Chan
Clinical Psychologist and Service Lead, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Carmen Chan – Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Lead for Trauma and PTSD across Oxfordshire CAMHS. She is also the Service Lead for Horizon, a specialist CAMHS service in Oxfordshire supporting young people and families who have been affected by sexual harm. An outline of this service model has been published with Dr Nick Hindley in Young Minds: Addressing Adversity (2018) 'Rethinking specialist and liaison services for young people who have experienced adversity or trauma'. (Chapter 19). Dr Chan is a Visiting Tutor at the Oxford Institute of Clinical Psychology Training (University of Oxford), and her clinical and research interests include interpersonal trauma and PTSD across the lifespan, shame, trauma-informed care, and exploring early interventions post-trauma. Dr Chan is one of the founding members of the Oxfordshire Sexual Violence and Exploitation Network.
EXTENDED SESSION: Contextual Safeguarding Innovations in Adolescent Safeguarding: Developing a Contextual Safeguarding action plan
• the importance of Contextual Safeguarding in understanding and responding to adolescence (cognitive, social and societal responses to growing up)
• taking Contextual Safeguarding from concept into initial action planning
• adopting strengths based approaches when working with contexts of extra familial harm to reduce risk
• the impact of Covid-19
• resources to support Contextual Safeguarding planning
• innovations in Safeguarding Adolescents
Senior Social Worker